Sunday 3 February 2013

What I've learnt

 Hello!


 I thought I would do a post all about what I feel I've learnt through my Gold Duke of Edinburgh's Award expedition.

 Firstly, undertaking it to start with required a great deal of courage. I was afraid of being homesick; of the physical side of it being too hard; of not fitting in with the group.

 I made myself do it, however, and it turned out to be amazing. So one thing I've definitely learnt is that there are times when you have to be brave and take a chance, and something really wonderful could come as a result.

 Another quality I feel I had but which grew significantly over the course of the expedition is resilience. The journey was hard sometimes; I got tired and cold and missed home comforts. But I gritted my teeth and kept going. I think D of E has certainly strengthened me in that respect.

 I had to rely on the others in my group many times during the expedition, and I think my willingness to lean on others and trust them has grown.

 I am quite an independent person and prefer trying to solve my own problems to burdening others with them; however I have realised through this expedition that sometimes it is better for everyone of you share your problems so that you can work together to find a solution.


 As well as the aforementioned personal qualities, there are more general things I've taken away from this expedition, such as knowledge of the Lake District and a renewed love for it, and practical skills when it comes to dressing for all weathers, camping and cooking outdoors.

 I'd like to thank my group; Ruth, Andrew and Luke for being brilliant, and all of the D of E instructors; Wayne, Dave, Joan, Karen, Richard and Joe, for training us well, guiding us through our practice expedition and assessing us on the assessed one; for all of their great advice and support.

 Since I started this blog I have completed my D of E residential - in China! - which you can read about on my blog: Liz in China 2012. So now all five sections of my Gold D of E are complete, and soon I can get my badge, from either the Duke of Edinburgh or the Earl of Wessex! It should be an amazing experience.

 Completing my Gold D of E Award has been more enjoyable than I could ever have imagined. All five sections have taught me new things; one thing I think they all have helped with is making me a braver and more confident person.

 I would recommend doing a Duke of Edinburgh's Award to anyone; it will bring you places you never imagined and will teach you so many different things. Just go for it!

 I hope you have enjoyed sharing my D of E journey with me, and I wish you luck on your own if you are about to undertake one, or are on one at the moment.



 Thanks for reading,

 Liz x

PS. If you want to hear more from me, I have a music blog which I update regularly: Liz Gibson, Waxing Lyrical.

No comments:

Post a Comment