Monday 20 August 2012

Introduction

 Hello!


 My name is Liz, I am eighteen years old and for over a year I have been working towards my Gold Duke of Edinburgh's Award, having already achieved my Silver D of E award.

 The Gold Duke of Edinburgh's Award is made up of five sections: volunteering, physical, skill, expedition and residential. As I write I have completed all of these apart from the residential section, which I am hoping to do soon.

 For my volunteering I worked extensively for Winstanley TV, my college TV station, on a voluntary basis. I helped out at college open days and open evenings, I brought my camcorder on college trips and made short films about them, and I spent many of my free periods at college working on various projects such as our college talent competition and the college Climate Week.

 For my physical I have taken up zumba dancing; we learn different styles of dance from all over the world and I really enjoy it.

 For the skill section of my Gold D of E I took part in a project at Cornerhouse in Manchester called Creative Stars. We learnt lots of new skills from podcasting and computer programming to DJ-ing, MC-ing and acting. We also curated our own exhibition; Lost Is Found, at Cornerhouse. It was an amazing experience and I have learnt so much. I've also made some great friends.

 That brings us up to the expedition section, which I completed in July 2012. It was certainly the most challenging section for me, as in the past I have got very homesick on D of E expeditions. However, this time  I had an absolutely amazing group who were so kind and made the expedition not just bearable but actually a really enjoyable experience, one that I wish I could have again! I wish there was a Platinum D of E!

 Our Gold D of E expedition section consisted of a full day's training, a three-day practice expedition in the South Lakes, and a four-day assessed expedition in the North Lakes. We also have to have a purpose to our expedition; mine was to create this blog to document our journey.

 So watch this space, and I will share with you what I feel is one of the most amazing things I have ever done.

 Thanks for reading,

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment